PUBLISHED AND FORTHCOMING PEER REVIEWED CONTRIBUTIONS
- Allen, DWE. ‘The Private Governance of Entrepreneurship: An Institutional Approach to Entrepreneurial Discovery‘, Doctoral Thesis, RMIT University, Melbourne.
- Allen, DWE and Berg, C (forthcoming). ‘Subjective political economy’, New Perspectives on Political Economy.
- Allen, DWE and Potts, J 2016, ‘How the innovation commons contributes to the development and discovery of new technologies’, International Journal of the Commons, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 1035-54.
- MacDonald, TJ, Allen, DWE and Potts, J 2016, ‘Blockchains and the Boundaries of Self-Organized Economies: Predictions for the Future of Banking’, In P Tasca, T Aste, L Pelizzon, and N Perony (eds.), Banking Beyond Banks and Money: A Guide to Banking Services in the Twenty-First Century. Cham: Springer International Publishing, pp. 279-96.
- Moilanen, J, Daly, A, Lobato, R and Allen, DWE 2014, ‘Cultures of sharing in 3D printing: What can we learn from the licence choices of Thingiverse users?’ Journal of Peer Production 6.
BOOKS (AS EDITOR)
- Allen, DWE and Berg, C (eds., under contract, forthcoming 2017), Australia’s Red Tape Crisis, Connor Court Publishing, Brisbane, Australia.
PAPERS UNDER REVIEW
- Potts, J, Allen, DWE, MacDonald, TJ, ‘Keep your friends close, your enemies closer: the case for inclusive innovation policy.’ Under review at the International Journal of Technology and Globalization.
- Allen, DWE, Berg, C, Lane, AM and Potts, J 2017, ‘The economics of crypto-democracy’, To be presented at Linked Democracy: AI for Democratic Innovation, 26th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 19 August 2017.
- Allen, DWE and Potts, J 2016, ‘The origin of the entrepreneur and the innovation commons’ Presented at the 86th Annual Meeting of the Southern Economic Association Conference, Washington, D.C. 19-21 November 2016.
- Allen, DWE 2015, ‘Governing innovation: asset specificity, opportunism, and the fundamental transformation’, Presented at the 28th PhD Conference in Business and Economics, University of Queensland, 11-13 November 2015.
- Allen, DWE 2015, ‘The innovation fundamental transformation’, RMIT University Research Seminar, 2015.
- Allen, DWE 2015, ‘The entrepreneurial problem of the blockchain’, Sydney Blockchain Workshops.
- Allen, DWE and Potts, J 2015, ‘The innovation commons – why it exists, what it does, who it benefits and how’, Presented at the International Association for the Study of the Commons biannual global conference, Edmonton, Canada, 25-29 May, 2015.
APPEARANCES AS EXPERT WITNESS BEFORE PARLIAMENT
Senate Committee on Red Tape, Environmental Assessments and Approvals, 22 August 2017, Perth.
Senate Committee on Red Tape, The Effect of Red Tape on the Sale, Supply and Taxation of Alcohol, 24 February 2017, Sydney.
Senate Standing Committee on Economics, Inquiry into Criminal, Civil and Administrative Penalties into White Collar Crime, 6 December 2016, Melbourne.
Victorian Standing Committee on Economy and Infrastructure, Inquiry into Ride Sourcing Services, 8 September 2016, Melbourne.
- Allen, DWE Discovering and developing the blockchain cryptoeconomy. Available at SRRN: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2815255
- Allen, DWEHackerspaces as entrepreneurial anarchy. Available at SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2749016
- Allen, DWE The subjective political economy of the innovation commons. Available at SSRN: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2872498
RESEARCH REPORTS AND SUBMISSIONS TO GOVERNMENT
- Begg, M, Allen, DWE, Wild, D 2017, ‘Decentralising the Protection of Australian Threatened Species’ IPA Occasional Paper.
- Allen, DWE, Berg, C and Fraser, J 2017, ‘Liquor Licensing Red Tape on Australian Businesses’ IPA Occasional Paper.
- Allen, DWE 2016, ‘The Case for Cutting Red Tape on Drones’, IPA Occasional Paper.
- Allen, DWE, Wild, D and Hogan, B 2016, ‘On Regulation, Productivity and Growth: Reforms to Make Australia More Prosperous’, IPA Occasional Paper.
- Allen, DWE, Berg, C, Novak, M and Wild, D 2016, ‘Submission to the Productivity Commission Draft Report of the Regulation of Agriculture’
- Allen, DWE and Novak, M 2016, ‘Ten Red Tape Initiatives for the Next Australian Government’, IPA Occasional Paper.
- Allen, DWE 2016, ‘Submission to the Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman Discussion Paper 2016.’
- Allen, DWE, Berg, C and Breheny, S 2016, ‘Submission relating to the Vegetation Management (Reinstatement) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2016’
- Allen, DWE and Potts, J 2015, ‘Innovation Strangled by Red Tape’, Submission to the Productivity Commission Inquiry into Business Set-up, Transfer and Closure.
- Stanley, V and Allen, DWE 2014, ‘Freedom to Teach: A Research Report on the Work and Conditions of Teachers in Australia’ IPA Occasional Paper.
- Allen, DWE and Berg, C 2014, ‘The Sharing Economy: How Over-Regulation Could Destroy an Economic Revolution’, IPA Occasional Paper.
SELECTED LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS
‘Towards a classically liberal innovation policy’, The Australian Libertarian Society, Sydney, 2017.
‘Innovation, entrepreneurship and regulation’, ANZSFL Annual Conference, Melbourne, 2015.
‘Regulation and new technologies’, Australian Libertarian Society Annual Conference, Sydney, 2015.
‘Regulating new technologies’, ANZSFL, Melbourne, 2015.
‘Cultures of sharing and Thingiverse’, Inside 3D Printing Annual Conference, Melbourne, 2014.
‘3D printing, disruption and the law’, Swinburne Institute for Social Research Interdisciplinary Seminar, 2014.
SELECTED OPINION PIECES
Allen, DWE 2017, Too much red tape could keep drones grounded. The Weekly Times, 27 July 2017.
Allen, DWE 2017, Too much regulation clips wings of innovation. The Australian, 19 May 2017.
Allen, DWE 2017, Taxi license compensation sends the wrong message. Herald Sun, 14 February 2017.
Allen, DWE 2016, Red tape hampers resources recovery. The West Australian, 7 October 2016.
Allen, DWE 2016, Cut green and red tape to drive more growth in farming sector. Mercury, 31 July 2016.
Allen, DWE 2016, Drive productivity growth through innovation. Farm Weekly, 28 July 2016.
Allen, DWE 2016, Red tape the big hurdle for the mining industry. The West Australian, 24 June 2016.
Allen, DWE 2016, Let’s get rid of this suffocating bureaucracy. The Weekly Times, 8 June 2016.
Potts, J and Allen, DWE 2016, Proactive regulation a bad idea. On Line Opinion, 27 April 2016.
Allen, DWE 2016, Why the proposed tree laws are the very worst kind of red tape. Queensland Country Life, 7 April 2016.
Allen, DWE 2015, Government taken for a ride by public crackdown on Uber. The West Australian, 10 July 2015.
Allen, DWE 2015, New laws will impact Sydney apartment sizes. Sydney Morning Herald, 4 May 2015.
OTHER PUBLISHED ARTICLES
Bushnell, A, and Allen, DWE 2017, ‘Collared’, IPA Review 69(2).
Allen, DWE 2017, ‘Trumping architecture’, IPA Review 69(1).
Allen, DWE 2017, ‘Seeding prosperity’, IPA Review 69(1).
Allen, DWE 2016, ‘Civilised economics’, IPA Review 68(4).
Allen, DWE 2016, ‘Private order’, IPA Review 68(3).
Allen, DWE and Wild, D 2016, ‘Toxic greens’, IPA Review 68(3).
Allen, DWE 2016, ‘The case for personal income taxation cuts’, IPA Review 68(1).
Allen, DWE 2015, ‘Lessons from private cities’, IPA Review 67(4).
Allen, DWE 2015, ‘New money’, IPA Review 67(3).
Allen, DWE 2015, ‘The sharing economy’, IPA Review 67(3).
Hannaford, P and Allen, DWE 2015, ‘Freedom works’, IPA Review 67(2).
Allen, DWE 2015, ‘When the going gets tough, the losers get lobbying’, IPA Review 66(3).
Allen, DWE 2014, ‘What is a taxi? Regulation and the sharing economy’, OECD Insights. December 2014.